Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eyes.

I went to the eye doctor today (I hate eye appointments). Some of you might not no me very well, but I have bad eye history. But I'll eplain that later, pretty much I just want to thank God right now that I have perfect vision in my right eye. There is a chance that I could lose all my vision in my left eye, so I have to protect my right eye with my life haha. 6 years ago, I use to be able to see 20x25 out of my left eye...it has decreased majorly. Today it was 20x100. Over 6 years of time it decreased that much! That is a little scary for me.


Story time:

This is the story behind my left eye. I was born with a cataract and had it removed when I was like a month old. From that point out, my mom put a contact in my left eye and patch on my right eye to try to strengthen my left eye as much as possible. When I got older, still keeping the patch wear trend, I wore glasses on top of that contact, still trying to strenghten my left eye. When I was 5 years old, they had to do an eyelid lift because not only was there a cataract on my lens, my eye wasnt fully developed so it was smaller than my right eye, causing my left lid to droop. So, I kept on wearing the contact, patch and glasses. (Can't remember when I stopped wearing the patch) With the naked eye (my left one) all I could see was if it was dark or light in a room. I remember walking in my living room and just seeing the windows, the light shining in, and that was it. When I was 11, just the contact and glasses at this time, my eye started to reject the contact. It hurt really bad anytime I would try to put it in. So Dr. Grin said that I needed to go ahead and have my lens implant that they were planning to do when I was 13. I had my surgery and everything seemed to be going ok. I went back for my yearly check up and Dr. Grin told my mom and I that it had fallen forward, but they were going to try to fix it without surgery. (Sound painful? Well it was) First they tried to dialate my eye and have my lay flat on my back for 3 hours...boring. That didnt work. So she sent me over to her husbands off who is an eye surgeon, and he numbed my eye up, told me to squeeze my moms hand and then he tried to TAP IT BACK IN with this lovely little metal hook. It hurt! And guess what, it didnt work either. So then I had my 2nd lens implant when I was 12. It was sucessful! They put in a bigger lens so that it wont fall forward again and I havent had trouble since. Except for losing vision in that eye. Im incredibly near-sighted. After the surgery, they were impressed because I was suppose to see like 20x200 but I saw 20x25. My vision has decreased over the years, but still blessed that I'm not blind!

2 comments:

  1. Wow... your story made me squirm.

    I will be/have been praying for all you guys... that your transition into college life will be smooth, that you will find a community to follow Jesus with, and I will also be praying for your vision.

    I hope to be posting my next blog soon... but I have been busy with looking for a job and getting engaged... yeah... getting ENGAGED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! engaged? Can you please tell me the story?!:) Yes, I have to know, I'm a girl, its what we do...

    ReplyDelete